Castro Valley Music Parents’ Society Minutes
Welcome and Introductions: Kathy Kelley, Beth Watson, Carina Zamora, Helen Wu, Emilie Nepveux, Bob Shedd, Steve Hendee, Jean-Marie French
Approved minutes: The minutes of the November CVMPS meeting were approved, as well as the minutes for the emergency MPS meeting on Tuesday, December 14, 2017 (by teleconference)
Treasurer’s Report: Kathy reported that MPS has applied for the Nonprofit Raffle Registration through the Department of Justice, giving MPS the authority to hold raffles for fundraising purposes. The cost for this is $20 per year and should be renewed annually.
Helen reported on the financials for MPS through December 26, 2017:
- Teacher’s Accounts: $98,450.15
- MPS Account: $32,134.62
- Total: $130,584.77
Membership Notes: There were 5 new members to MPS in the past month, 3 of whom are diamond memberships. This brings our total membership to 315.
Awards/Scholarships: Bob requested that high school music teachers remind their seniors that the deadline for MPS scholarships is March 31.
Staff Notes: Mr. Hendee reported that all district music groups had a successful holiday concert season. The choir is preparing for their upcoming trip to Chicago, and the band and orchestra are preparing for their upcoming trip to Southern California. The music department is also currently in the process of purchasing equipment for the CFA. All middle school and high school musical groups are preparing for the upcoming Spaghetti Dinner and Concerts.
Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser: The following topics were discussed:
- Tickets will be sold during the event to raffle off donated items. There will possibly be one ticket station in the cafeteria, and one outside of the gym. Jean Marie will work on these logistics. Kathy has plenty of raffle tickets to use for this. Lisa is collecting items for the raffle. Beth will send out an email asking members to donate items.
- Kathy will check the MPS email account to answer questions about the spaghetti feed. Any questions she cannot answer will be forwarded to Jean Marie.
- Jean Marie will create the fliers for the event and will make sure the fliers get to the teachers. Emilie will help with getting price quotes for copying the fliers. The group approved an increase of $1 per ticket to offset the cost of the ticketing service that will be used. There is still a discussion of which ticketing service to use: Eventbright, Brown Paper Tickets, other? Kathy will discuss this with Michelle and Jean Marie to make a decision soon.
- Wristband distribution will take place the night before the event, as well as the evening of.
- District staff can see the performances for free by showing their staff ID. Certain staff members will also be comped dinner tickets, as approved by Jean Marie.
- Signup genius will be used to gather parent volunteers. MPS board members will help coordinate the volunteers the night of the event.
- Jen’s Cupcakes will be on hand to sell cupcakes. MPS gets a percentage of the cupcake sales, with no overhead cost on our part. Ice cream cups will not be served this year.
Meeting adjourned at 7:45pm.
Next meeting date: Feb. 7, 2018 (date change to avoid meeting on Valentine’s Day)
Minutes respectfully submitted by Beth Watson, MPS Secretary
MPS Minutes - Novemer 8, 2017
MPS Minutes - October 11, 2017
MPS Minutes - September 12, 2017
MPS Minutes - August 2, 2017 - Revised
MPS Minutes - May 17, 2017
MPS Minutes - April 12, 2017
MPS Minutes - March 8, 2017
MPS Minutes - February 8, 2017
MPS Minutes - January 11, 2017
MPS Minutes - November 9, 2016
MPS Minutes - October 12, 2016
MPS Minutes - September 14, 2016